What to do in Wynwood Miami: A guide to the best food, Art, and Entertainment
Wynwood Miami is one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in the city of Miami. It’s known for its colorful street art, trendy galleries and boutiques, lively nightlife and delicious food. Whether you’re one of the locals or you’re just visiting, there’s always something new and unique to explore in Wynwood.
However, if you are just visiting – I think you will find it’s a great way to spend a day breaking up the monotony of a typical beach vacation.
Plus it’s easy to navigate.
Located within close proximity to both Downtown Miami and South Beach, there’s usually plenty of street parking available, and when that fills up, there’s always the Wynwood Garage.
If you’re wondering “What should I not miss at Wynwood?” – then this guide is for you!
1. Visit the Wynwood Walls
Visiting the Wynwood Walls is a must-do activity for anyone visiting Wynwood. It’s an outdoor museum that showcases street art from around the world located in the Miami Design District. Plus, it’s also kid-friendly.
Featuring colorful murals and graffiti art, Wynwood Walls have become a cultural icon in Miami.
Artists from all over the world have contributed to the collection of art. It’s essentially a constantly evolving outdoor gallery.
The museum is open, at the time of this writing, from 11 am to 7 pm on weekdays and 11 am to 8 pm on weekends. General admission is $12 for adults. Kids under 12 are free but a ticket is still required for entry.
Here’s what you can expect at the Wynwood Walls:
- Murals – Over 40 murals, or large-scale, colorful, and beautiful paintings, adorn the walls of the structures and warehouses.
- Sculptures – In addition to the murals, you will see several scriptures by different artists.
- The Goldman Global Arts Gallery – Within the Wynwood Walls you can find another museum, the Goldman Global Arts Gallery. This gallery features contemporary art by both established and emerging artists.
Be sure to bring your camera to capture the experience. And don’t forget to stop by the Wynwood Walls gift shop on your way out. You will want to take home a piece of this unique Miami experience.
Tip: Locals often try to find a mural that matches their outfit for the ultimate Instagrammable moment.
2. Explore the art galleries
When visiting Wynwood, one of the top things to do is explore the galleries and boutiques. There are many galleries to choose from, each with its own unique style and perspective.
Some of the best galleries in Wynwood include:
- The Bakehouse Art Complex: Miami’s premier not-for-profit incubator for artist creativity featuring outdoor galleries and indoor spaces that are open to the general public (with free admission year-round).
- Art Fusion Galleries: Featuring emerging and mid-career artists from all over the world in a variety of rotating collections and mediums.
- The David Castillo Gallery: Featuring artists that have shaped the very definition of contemporary art.
- Dot Fiftyone Gallery: Featuring both emerging and established contemporary artists, many of whom are largely underrecognized in North America.
- Spinello Projects: Featuring work from experimental artists.
- Museum of Graffiti: The world’s first museum completely dedicated to graffiti.
3. Check out the unique boutiques and shops
If you’re looking for vintage clothing or unique, handmade items, be sure to check out boutiques like:
- Supply & Advise: A men’s clothing boutique featuring classic and military-inspired pieces
- Frangipani: A colorful store featuring quirky gifts, unusual fashions and unique home decor – perfect for souvenir shopping.
- Wynwood Kollective: A tiny store filled with custom-made jewelry, home decor, and crafts.
- Lotus House Thrift Chic Boutique: A boutique-like thrift store with designer goods and collectibles. All sales from this store go to benefit the Lotus House Women and Children’s Shelter.
- Wynwood Tribe: A family-owned shop featuring fair-trade and upcycled clothing from local designers.
4. Grab a bite to eat
Besides all the attractions, Wynwood’s food scene is a melting pot of international flavors and local ingredients. From traditional Mexican street food to modern twists on classic American dishes, there is something for every palate.
From upscale restaurants to street food vendors, there’s no shortage of delicious options to choose from. Whether you’re in the mood for a quick snack or a full meal, you won’t be disappointed.
So, put on your walking shoes, grab your appetite, and let’s explore the culinary scene in Wynwood Miami!
Here are some of the best places to eat in Wynwood Miami:
- Coyo Taco: Coyo Taco, a casual but popular taqueria, is a local chain that offers a variety of tacos served in authentic corn tortillas.
- Beaker & Gray: Beaker & Gray is a contemporary American restaurant located in a renovated factory with a creative menu featuring small plates.
- Joey’s Italian Cafe: Joey’s Italian Cafe is a casual Italian restaurant that serves up classic dishes such as pasta, pizza, and seafood.
- 1-800-Lucky: 1-800-Lucky is a casual Asian food hall that offers a variety of food options such as sushi, ramen, poke bowls, and bao buns.
- Suviche: Suviche is another local chain. It’s a Peruvian-Japanese fusion restaurant that offers a variety of sushi rolls, ceviche, and other Latin-Asian fusion dishes.
- Zak the Baker: Zak the Baker is a colorful cafe with a laid-back vibe specializing in gourmet house-baked goods. (Hint: Look for the building simply labeled “bakery” or you might miss it.)
- Bartaco: Three words: “Life-changing churros”. You’re welcome.
But no matter where you choose to dine, I guarantee, you can’t go wrong. After a few meals at Wynwood, it will be easy to see why Wynwood has become a popular destination for foodies the world over.
Tip: If you’re craving something sweet into the later hours of the night, check out Night Owl Cookies, they’re delish!
5. Get a taste of Wynwood’s craft beer scene
Speaking of tasty things to put in your tummy, if you are a lover of craft beer, you won’t want to miss the chance to check out Wynwood’s many breweries with open-space patios.
Wynwood happens to be home to some of the best breweries in South Florida, offering unique beers that you won’t find anywhere else.
Here are just a few of the top breweries to check out:
- J. Wakefield Brewing: Come for the Star Wars theming, stay for the brews. J. Wakefield Brewing is known for its IPAs, stouts, and sours. This brewery is a local favorite that should not be missed.
- Wynwood Brewing Company: Wynwood Brewing Company specializes in small-batch, handcrafted beers made with locally sourced ingredients.
- Veza Sur Brewing Co.: Veza Sur Brewing Co. offers Latin-inspired beers, along with a selection of cocktails and food that perfectly complement their unique brews.
- Cervecería La Tropical: Cervecería La Tropical is a historic brewery that offers Latin-style beers and hosts live events and watch parties.
In the mood for a little bar hopping? A Wynwood beer tour can be a great way to sample multiple breweries in a safe and responsible way.
Speaking of which …
6. Explore the Wynwood Arts District with a guided tour
While you can explore the arts district by yourself … what better way to explore this cultural hub than through a guided tour?
Here are some of the best tours available in the area:
- Wynwood Walls Street Art and Food Walking Tour: Get a taste of everything Wynwood has to offer on foot.
- Wynwood Art District 1-Hour Street Art Tour by Golf Buggy: Or, if walking isn’t your thing, take a ride on a golf cart and explore the murals in style.
- Wynwood Graffiti Brewery Golf Cart Tour: But if golf carts and breweries are your thing, you might want to check out the Wynwood Graffiti Brewery Golf Cart Tour.
- Wynwood Walls Small Group Dessert Food Walking Tour: This short tour offers guests a sweet way to explore Wynwood Walls while sampling ice cream and baked goods.
Psst: Don’t forget to bring your camera and your appetite!
7. Visit Wynwood Marketplace
One of the latest additions to the Wynwood neighborhood is the Wynwood Marketplace.
The Wynwood Marketplace is a large outdoor event space that hosts a variety of events, from music festivals to food markets and art shows.
It’s also becoming a hub for the community, bringing together locals and visitors alike to enjoy live music, food and drinks and unique shopping experiences.
Tip: Keep an eye on their events calendar to stay up to date on the latest happenings at the Wynwood Marketplace – you never know what you may find yourself doing!
Some of the past events include FAME- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, where you can enjoy live music until 3 am.
8. Expend some extra energy at FunDimension
Look, art isn’t for everyone. Especially if you have kids in tow, or an impatient husband, a day full day of museums and galleries might start to wear on them a bit. So give them a bit of a break at Wynwood’s FunDimension.
This entertainment center was designed with both kids and adults in mind.
FunDimension features attractions like:
- Laser tag – Featuring a 3,500 square foot high-tech arena with music and special effects.
- Bumper cars – This attraction is designed for both kids and adults, complete with music and laser lights.
- Duckpin bowling – Like regular bowling only miniaturized which enables you can hold a ball in one hand and a drink in the other.
- Rock climbing – Let the little ones get some of that extra energy out with some tropical-themed outdoor rock climbing.
- Video games – FunDimension’s video game room features a variety of consoles including PlayStation, XBox and Nintendo Switch.
And of course, there’s even a lounge and bar. Think of it like a space-themed, multi-faceted Dave & Busters.
9. Miami Selfie Museum
Last but not least we have The Miami Selfie Museum, aka The Original Selfie Museum/Miami Peach Museum.
Many names, simple concept.
This museum is all about the art of the selfie. Make your way from one creative scene to another and take as many photos as you please with professional lighting, phone tripods, and creative backdrops/props.
If you don’t Instagram your vacation – did it really happen?
A vacation from your vacation
If you need a break from the beach, Wynwood Miami is a great way to go with, clearly, something for everyone.
Whether you’re down to grab a bite or you’d rather go and explore the Wynwood Walls, featuring street art from around the world – this place is a must-visit.
What are your favorite things to do in Wynwood? Let us know in the comments below.